Thursday, May 31, 2012

Back of Beyond

Regarding wargaming, I have split personality. I have collected 25mm Napoleonics for 30+ years and find adding new units a never-ending source of satisfaction. On the other hand, I start other new collections/eras without much thought. I go where inspiration leads me...

This has led me into, from my point of view, an off-shoot of WW1 called Back of Beyond. It is not so much an era as an idea. It encompasses the events during the Russian Civil War that played out in Central Asia as many varying factions competed for control over regions stretching from Persia to China. Like the Napoleonic era, it is the home of larger-than-life characters leading relatively small armies into battles that had far-reaching impacts.

Much of my new found enthusiasm for this era comes from a book called Setting the East Ablaze by Peter Hopkirk that I found at a rummage sale. For the expense of 1 dollar, an era of history has been opened up to me. Now I am reading about the possibilities for wargames set in Back of Beyond at < http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?board=4.0 > and wondering what I have gotten myself into! I look forward to getting some sample figures and seeing where this takes me...


1 comment:

Ben Gilmour said...

I look forward to following your progress. I might see if I can track down a copy of the book, but I doubt I'll get it for a dollar!

Pictures