The French division opened the battle in possession of the village but the Russians stormed and seized Mlawa on the first turn. After that, it was a parade of poor dice rolls (and a misread chart for casualties) resulting in the French cavalry being badly mauled by Russian Cuirassiers. During the battle each side lost a brigade commander captured by the enemy. The Russians lost Prince Dolgorukov to troops from Chantome's Brigade while the French lost GdB Maurice to troops from Ushakov's Lithuanian Musketeers.
On the right wing there was a furious charge to open the battle as Prince Dolgorukov stormed Mlawa while his "support" from Ushakov's Grenadiers came to nothing as they failed their roll to enter melee so badly that the Grenadiers withdrew. Once the Russians had the town they never let it go. Sporadic fighting around Mlawa never led to any French advantage and the Russians still held Mlawa at battle's end.
Meanwhile, on the left wing the French Dragoons were being ridden down by the Little Russia Kuirassiers. The Dragoons were destroyed in a pair of dazzling charges that ended in rout results for the hapless Frenchmen. Only a Retire to Own Lines result on the Russian Pursuit Test halted the Russians. Eventually, the French cavalry, led by the Chasseurs, began to push back the tired Russian cavalry.
In the center, the Russians under Titov were trading volleys with Guily's Frenchmen. Casualties were fairly even as there was no room to add troops nor maneuver for advantage. Suddenly, near the game's last turn, the Russians failed a string of morale checks that sent Titov's brigade packing as it withdrew from the battle line to reorganize.
We were under a time limit so the battle was ended at 3:30 and the Russians were declared the victors as they still held the town. At that time the Russians were seeing their cavalry being slowly pushed back, although the Cossacks were still available to help, Titov's brigade was reforming and ready to stabilize the Russian center, the fight in the woods between Ushakov and Maurice was stalemated, and Chantome's brigade was in columns and ready to assault Mlawa in an attempt to pry it away from Dolgorukov's brigade. At best, that assault would have been a "near run thing" for the French.
As is customary at our club, I was on the French side (as Augereau, Chantome, and Maurice) and I lost. However, it was fun and I look forward to our next GdB game.
Below is the scenario info and a map:
Mlawa village can hold up to 48 figures. The village counts as BUILDINGS for cover modifiers.
A stand of Pioneers/Sappers/Genies must be attached to a unit in order to give benefits. If they are attached then they suffer the first casualties if the unit is fired upon. They may be fired upon if they are “working” on water crossings and such. Otherwise, they may only be shot at if they shoot first. See rule 12.10 to find their fate if they help in an assault.
Troops in woods accompanied by sappers can move at normal rate if sappers are attached to a battalion.
Each side will have 4 sections and there must be at least one brigade in each section.
- Tauride Grenadiers (2 bns) Elite SK2
- Lithuanian Musketeers (2 bns) Veteran
- Kaporsk Musketeers (2 bns) Veteran
- Muromsk Musketeers (2 bns) Veteran
- Tschernigov Musketeers (2 bns) 2nd Line
- Dnepr Musketeers (2 bns) 2nd Line
- Little Russian Cuirassiers (12 to 16 figures) Elite
- Kurland Dragoons (12 figures) Veteran
- Ilowaiski Cossacks (16 figures) Line
- Heavy Company Colonel von Bril 12 pound (4 gun stands) Veteran
- Light Company Major Mitrofanov 6 pound (4 gun stands) 2nd Line
- Major Afanasev’s Pioneer Detachment (12 figures) Veteran
- 16th Light Infantry (2bns) Elite SK1
- 14th Regiment (2bns) Veteran SK1
- Major Defranc’s Genies (12 figures) Elite
- 44th Line Infantry (2 bns) Veteran
- 105th Line Infantry (2 bns) Veteran
- 8lb Foot Artillery (3 gun stands) Elite
- 24th Line Infantry (2 bns) Line
- 106th Line Infantry (2 bns) Line
- 8lb Foot Artillery (4 gun stands) Veteran
- 20th Chasseurs (12 – 16 figures) Veteran
- 4lb Horse Artillery (2 gun stands) Veteran
- 7th Dragoons (12 figures) Veteran
- 8th Dragoons (12 figures) Veteran
- 9th Cuirassiers (12 figures) Elite